What Should You Do After An Accident?
An accident can be incredibly disorienting. Suddenly, you must navigate the overwhelming insurance and legal systems while facing serious physical injuries. You may not know what to do or where to start.
Experienced trial lawyers, the attorneys of Sullivan Law have addressed countless accident cases. We can advise clients on what to do after an accident to protect their case and ensure that they pursue maximum compensation.
Steps To Take After A Motor Vehicle Accident
Your actions in the immediate aftermath of an accident can have a lasting impact on your health and financial security. Our attorneys recommend the following steps to protect your physical well-being and potential personal injury claim.
- Call the police and emergency personnel. Legally you must notify the police after a motor vehicle accident, but their report is also essential to your potential claim. Details in the report could be used to substantiate your claim and the extent of damages. Call for emergency medical assistance if necessary.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. If you have a camera on your phone, take photos of all property damage, license plate numbers and visible injuries.
- Seek medical attention, even if you are unsure if you need it. Whether or not you have visible injuries, you should undergo a thorough medical examination soon after your accident. Some serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries may not be immediately apparent until later. If you are injured, this record will be invaluable to your case.
- Do not speak to anyone without an attorney’s counsel. This includes the police, if possible, and insurance companies. Insurance adjusters may offer a lowball payment to quickly shut the case. Remember that this amount may be less than what you are entitled to. A good lawyer can help you determine if you should accept the proposed offer or negotiate a higher settlement.
- Never admit fault or apologize. You may be confused after your accident and be concerned for the other motorist’s health and safety. However, you should never apologize or admit to any fault in the accident, or you could jeopardize your claim.
An accident is stressful. You should not have to face it alone. Our lawyers can partner with you through each stage of your case. We can provide guidance after all manner of motor vehicle accidents, including car, truck, bus, cyclist and pedestrian accidents.
Discuss Your Case With Our Diligent Legal Team
No matter your situation, a skilled accident attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system. Schedule a free initial consultation with our legal team, and learn what else you can do to protect your case. To arrange a meeting, call our Kansas City office at 816-945-8853 or 800-487-8066. You may also contact our firm online.