Winning Cases With a Wrongful Death Lawyer: 7 Things to KnowWorking your way through a wrongful death lawsuit can be a tricky process, and the qualified lawyers at our top-rated Missouri law firm are committed to assisting you at each step of the way. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are thinking about filing a wrongful death claim:
1. Wrongful Death Is Broader Than You Might ThinkIn Missouri, you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim in a wide variety of situations, some of which might not be obvious. Perhaps you are aware that a death related to a malfunctioning car airbag or a fatal dose of anesthesia could qualify you to collect wrongful death compensation. But you may not know that a death caused by a careless truck driver could lead to a successful lawsuit, as could a death resulting from medical misdiagnosis.
Even if you are not sure whether your case qualifies as wrongful death, arrange a free consultation with our legal team. The compensation you are eligible for may surprise you. If someone close to you was killed by negligence of any type, there is a good chance that you could pursue a legal case and win a settlement.
2. Wrongful Death Claims Are Time SensitiveA wrongful death claim must be filed within a certain time period after the accident. If you wait too long, you may lose your ability to file a claim.
You may feel so overwhelmed after a wrongful death that it is hard to think about pursuing a lawsuit. That is why it is important to hire a qualified lawyer who can guide you through the process. Don't delay in filing a wrongful claim. Instead, consult a lawyer who can handle the complex legal details for you, giving you the time you need to grieve.
3. Lawsuits Against Large Companies Can Be WonWrongful death cases frequently deal with defective consumer products or workplace negligence. In some cases, your opposition may be a powerful, multinational corporation. You may have heard, for instance, about the wrongful death lawsuit recently filed against Tyson Foods.
The prospect of negotiating with a big corporation, let alone going up against their representatives in the courtroom, might understandably seem daunting. But don't let anxieties deter you from seeking the compensation that your family deserves.
Wrongful death claims against powerful companies can be won, especially if you have an experienced team of lawyers at your side. At Sullivan Law, we have won multimillion-dollar settlements from big-name opponents including car, railroad, boat, and timber companies. Even if you are not battling a big company, our diverse practical experience will be an asset when it comes to winning your case.
4. Product Liability Cases Require a Special Set of SkillsUnfortunately, you can't always trust that the things you buy are actually safe to use. Product liability is one of the most common types of wrongful death claims. If you file a wrongful death lawsuit for a defective product, you must be able to prove that the product poses a safety hazard.
A product's safety can be compromised in many ways. Sometimes, the product came out of the factory with a physical defect. In other cases, the product was poorly designed or its instruction manual was poorly written, putting the user at risk of injury or even death.
Wrongful death cases related to product liability require a special set of legal skills. Proving that a product is unsafe requires both dedication and knowledge. A lawyer with experience in product liability cases will have the skills to assess the situation and fight for your best interests.
5. Not All Lawyers Specialize in Trial NegotiationsIf your case ends up in court, you want to make sure that your lawyer has the skills and experience to persuade the jury. Debating in a trial requires a unique skill set. You should think ahead and choose a lawyer who specializes in trial negotiations in case your claim goes to court.
A lawyer with experience in trial negotiations will increase your case's chances of success. Often, lawyers' websites can give you information about the cases they have won in the past. A lawyer with a track record of winning large settlements for their clients is your best bet when it comes to pursuing a wrongful death case.
6. Not All Lawyers Will Stick With You Through the Entire Legal ProcessWhen you hire a lawyer, you want someone who you can count on throughout the process. Some law firms hire paralegals or less experienced lawyers to handle much of the work. Paralegals are trained to be familiar with the law, but they don't have the same intimate, hands-on knowledge as a professional lawyer. Being handed off to a paralegal might increase your stress and uncertainty about the case, which is the last thing you need after a devastating loss.
If you are pursuing a wrongful death case, you want a qualified and determined lawyer who will fight for maximum compensation at every step of the way. A lawyer with that level of commitment to their clients is bound to be an asset in negotiations and in the courtroom. You will have the peace of mind of knowing that your case is in good hands.
7. Nationwide Experience Is a Big PlusA qualified local lawyer can certainly help you win a wrongful death settlement. If you choose a wrongful death lawyer who has experience tackling cases across the nation, your chances of winning fair compensation will be even higher. A nationwide presence indicates that a law firm is prosperous and successful, which are sure signs of client satisfaction.
Just as importantly, a law firm with a large geographic scope will have a more diverse portfolio of cases. The laws surrounding wrongful death vary from state to state, so a firm with a nationwide presence will be more capable of tailoring your case to your unique situation and needs.
Adaptability is an under-appreciated virtue in legal cases, which don't always go the way you would initially expect. A law firm that works with clients across the nation will have a range of experience, which will enable them to stick it out through a difficult legal case.
Consult With Nationally Respected LawyersWhen you are grieving for the loss of a loved one, pursuing a legal case is probably not be at the top of your list of priorities. Wrongful death cases are challenging, and winning a fair settlement from a powerful company might seem like an impossible task.
At Sullivan Law, our nationally respected team of lawyers is not afraid to take a stand against any company that has harmed your family. We are committed to seeking justice for your family member and winning you the maximum compensation. Contact us today to arrange a free consultation about your wrongful death claim.