7 Dangers of Not Hiring a Car Accident LawyerA car accident attorney is the best ally you can have after being in an accident. You have already had to deal with the trauma and injuries after being in the accident: now it is time for someone else to take over and do the legwork for you. A good attorney will make sure you are treated fairly and get the compensation that you deserve.
There are many dangers to not hiring a good attorney to help you after a car accident. Some of these include:
1. You Have to Do All the WorkWithout a lawyer, you must do all the work for the claim. This means that you will need to contact the insurance company, find the right documents, talk to experts, and work on any negotiations. If this is not hard enough, most insurance agencies are not willing to work with individuals and may ignore you completely. To get their attention, you need the right attorney.
You already have enough to deal with after a major accident. Do not try to take on the work of filing a claim and getting a good settlement. Your lawyer can walk you through the process so you know what is going on. Stay home and focus on recovering while your attorney takes on the rest.
2. You Will Get a Lower SettlementWhen you make an accident claim on your own, be prepared for a low settlement offer. Insurance companies want to pay as little out of pocket as possible. They may rush to hand over a small settlement in the hopes that the victim will sign to avoid a long trial. Many victims sign the settlement because they think that is the best offer they will get.
If an insurance company hands you a settlement before you can start your claim, be wary. This settlement is usually low and not in your best interest. Most victims do not know how to negotiate and get a higher settlement amount on their own. The right accident lawyer can look over the settlement and renegotiate to get you the compensation you deserve.
3. You May Get No SettlementIf you decide to handle your accident claim on your own, you may even end up getting no settlement at all. The insurance company may decide not to work with you, or you may miss important deadlines to hand documents in. You may not be able to collect the right testimonies or evidence for your claim. A car accident lawyer can help take away the stress and will do all the work for you.
Your attorney has the right experience to handle a car accident claim. They know the right experts to bring in, how to get the right documents, and how to submit them in a timely manner so the insurance company cannot get away with not paying your settlement. Do not let a technicality take away your settlement when a personal injury lawyer can handle the tough work for you.
4. You May Misunderstand the LawWithout a law degree, it is hard to understand all the ins and outs of personal injury law. Misunderstanding part of the law or not bringing in the right evidence and documentation can get your case thrown out and makes it hard to get any settlement at all.
It is better to have an attorney on your side. They have spent years studying and practicing the law and can make sure your case will succeed. Do not risk the claim getting thrown out because you don't have years of law experience. Hire a good car accident lawyer who knows the law and how to negotiate the best deals with the insurance company.
5. No One on Your SideThe insurance company is not on your side. If the accident is not your fault, the other insurance company wants to get out of paying you. They do not want to pay a large sum of money for the accident, your medical bills, and lost wages. Without a car accident lawyer, you may find their aggressive tactics hard to fight against. And with no one on your side, you're likely going to lose.
A good attorney knows the laws and rights. They know how to stand by your side during the case and will not let the insurance company bully you into a low settlement. This can be reassuring while you deal with recovering and getting back to life.
6. You May Not Get Lost WagesMissing work after an accident is common. You may need to take a few days off to recover, or, if the accident was severe enough, you may need to take a few weeks or even more off. This results in lost wages, meaning that paying bills and keeping up with expenses becomes even harder.
With the right representation, you can get compensation for lost wages added to your settlement. When the injury is long-term or permanent, your attorney can negotiate a deal that will help you during this time. This will help take some of the stress off your shoulders and makes it easier to concentration on recovering instead of concentrating on how to pay your bills.
7. You May Have to Pay Your Own Medical BillsFighting for all the compensation you deserve after a car accident is never easy. The responsible party and their insurance want to pay as little as possible. You may be able to get compensation for the wrecked car on your own. But how will you handle those mounting medical bills from the accident?
A good lawyer will stand by you and help you not only get compensation for the wreck, but also for your medical bills. If you are injured from the accident, you should not have to go into debt to take care of those injuries. Your lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company to help get those medical bills paid off.
If you have been in a car accident, you need someone on your side right away. You need a lawyer who knows how to handle your claim and can work for you to get the best settlement. Call us at Sullivan Law, LLC in Kansas City, MO to discuss your accident claim and see what we can do for you.